The Australia Youth Trust
The Australia Youth Trust is a company limited by guarantee established to provide the following:
- Financial support to Commonwealth and other agencies providing relief programs to young people suffering from poverty, illness, exploitation and abuse in developing countries (special grants)
- Provide better opportunities for young people and their families including literacy, education, employment and training programs (Tom Harvey Award for Citizenship)
- Provide funding for student to travel, study and work in a developing Commonwealth country.
The Australia Youth Trust was established by the Commonwealth Day Council of NSW and launched by the late Diana, Princess of Wales.
The focus is on young people in Australia and developing Commonwealth nations, youth being defined by the Commonwealth in age terms from 0 to 30.
The Trust will show a preference for supporting programs which:
- Involve both young Australians and young people from developing Commonwealth neighbours
- Focus on providing lasting solutions towards the relief of suffering, and those which provide education and training opportunities
- Involve the exchange of information, expertise and ideas between young people in Australia and the Commonwealth in meeting the objectives of the Trust.
The President of the Trust is the Hon Max Willis RFD ED CSI.