About the Council
The Commonwealth Day Council of NSW was Incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act 1984 to promote and celebrate Commonwealth Day, which is held on the second Monday in March each year.
The purpose of the Commonwealth Day Council of NSW is to:
- Promote the benefits of the Commonwealth and its countries
- Support the Australia Youth Trust.
The Patron of the Commonwealth Day Council is His Excellency General The Honourable David Hurley AC DSC (Ret'd) Governor of New South Wales.
The Vice Patrons are the President of the Legislative Council and the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly.
One of the key functions conducted by the Council is the Annual Commonwealth Day Lunch held in March each year to commemorate Commonwealth Day.
Key speakers and guests have included:
- Her Majesty, The Queen
- The late Diana, Princess of Wales
- Her Excellency Professor The Honourable Dame Marie Bashir, AD, CVO, Governor of New South Wales
- Mr Mick Keelty, APM, former Commissioner of the Australian Federal Police
- The Hon Justice Michael Kirby, AC, CMG, former Justice of the High Court of Australia
- General Peter Cosgrove, AC, MC, former Chief of the Australian Defence Forces
- Professor Ian Plimer, B.Sc.(Hons), Ph.D.
- Sir Ian Turbott AO, CMG, CVO, Hon Consul of the Cook Islands
- Mr Robyn Williams AM,Science Journalist and Broadcaster
- Mr Edmund Capon AM, OBE former Director, Art Gallery of NSW
- Mr Nick McInnes, British Consul-General
- Mr David Murray AO
- Ms Genevieve Clay-Smith, NSW Young Australian of the Year
- Margaret Cunneen SC, Deputy Senior Crown Prosecutor
- Her Excellency Menna Rawlings CMG British High Commissioner